Interjection atau kata seru merupakan salah satu dari delapan parts of speech bahasa Inggris. Namun, beberapa ahli tata bahasa mengatakan bahwa interjection merupakan parts of speech yang tidak terlalu penting karena tidak secara signifikan mengubah makna dan tidak terlalu dibutuhkan untuk membuat kalimat menjadi lebih jelas. Interjection digunakan untuk menunjukan perasaan dan emosi. Biasanya, interjection diikuti oleh tanda seru atau exclamation mark.
Yikes, I didn’t realize that there will be English test today!
Oh no, I can’t believe that it is raining again!
So, it’s raining again, huh?
- Ahem – The sound of someone clearing their throat and means “attention” or “listen”
- Aah – This is used as a call for help or when someone is scared
- Boo – Used to scare someone or to voice disapproval
- Eh – This is used when you didn’t hear or understand what someone said
- Eww – Ahows dislike or disgust
- Hmm – This can mean you are thinking or hesitating
- Jeez – Could mean you can’t believe something, or you are exasperated
- Ooh-la-la – A slightly comical way to refer to something as fancy or special
- Oops – An exclamation people use when they accidentally do something
- Phew – This expresses relief or that you are glad something is over
- Whoa – This can show surprise or amazement
- Yahoo – Expresses joy or happiness
- Yeah – This shows a very strong affirmation or approval
- Yoo-hoo – This is used to get someone’s attention and is usually used by women
- Zing – This is similar to a rim shot used in comic acts and emphasizes a clever statement or comeback
Interjections in a Sentence
Here are some interjections with an accompanying sentence:
- Ahh, that feels wonderful.
- Alas! I’m lost in the wilderness.
- Bah! That was a total waste of time.
- Bless you, I couldn’t have done it without you.
- It’s time for me to go. Cheerio!
- Congrats! You finally got your Master’s degree.
- Crikey! Do you ever think before you speak?
- Gesundheit! Are you starting to get a cold?
- Good grief! Why are you wearing shorts in the winter?
- Grrr! I’m going to get back at him for that.
- Humph, he probably cheated to make such good grades.
- Oh dear! I don’t know what to do about this mess.
- Pip pip! Let’s get moving.
- Shoot! I forgot my brother’s birthday.
- Well, duh! That was a stupid thing to do!
- Yowza! That is a beautiful ball gown.
Hope this will help you 🙂